Tuesday, September 11, 2007

OH Today....

When people find out I'm from NYC the first question is usually "Where in NYC you from?" The second is "Were you there that day?" To answer the burning question yes. I was roughly a half mile away. Enough to feel the tremor when the buildings fell. No matter what you see on TV or what they show today, it is nothing compared to the real thing. NYC is my home. It was my heart and soul at this time. I moved to a million places, and NYC is the only place i ever got attached to. No matter what anyone said about New York, I jumped down their throats if it was a negative comment. That day, other than worrying about my aunt Janet (shes fine), my friend Gabriella Waisman who was giving a presentation there for the first time (she didnt make it :( and some of my firefighter friends (half of them didnt come back), the thing i remember most is the next day. I had to take the train home after being deserted there all night. The stench of the city is something one who was there would only understand...if you took the train that day all you could smell was burning fumes and flesh. I swear bloggers, it must be what hell smells like. burning skin. I dunno, I don't ever EVER talk about it, because once people ask if i was there, after about the zillionth time, you get kinda numb to it. I never wanted to get numb to it so i stopped talking about it. After that day, I decided never to invest too much feeling into a place i live. Imagine...look outside your window...your home, your computer, your cell phone, your family, your friends...all gone. your world gone even if it was only in your mind...even if for a minute, an hour. I left NYC in 2004 and just moved back this year...it still feels different. Since then, I have always felt different.

No comments: